Black Christmas CDA (Christmas Dark Ale) – Parallel 49 Brewing, 6.5% ABV – 650cl, (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
On the front label:
“We never saw the point of sucking up to Santa all year long for a couple of measly presents. If drinking this hoppy, toasted malt CDA puts us on the naughty list, where do we sign up?”
- Style: Black IPA (seasonal)
- My Rating: C+
- Taste Profile: Creamy grapefruity hoppiness -> toasted malts/coffee/date-fig-> grapefruity hoppy finish.
- Where I got it: BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $5.50, November 2012
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: just out of curiousity, not awesomeness
Tasting notes: pours super dark coffee black/brown with a very small creamy head, some sticky lacing, thin ringed retention, a few active clustered streams. Toasted caramel malts on the nose. Drinks with a bright sharp-hoppiness up front, 7/10-sweetness, roasted-toasted caramel medium malts, clinging hoppy bitterness, coffee, dark fig/dates, grapefruit sourness in the mids and finish, ending with a mildly grapefruit sour hoppy light-med bitter finish. Overall medium bodied with a partially watery mouthfeel. Medium complexity, medium depth, good transitions, good carry, good drinkability.