Früli Strawberry Beer – Van Diest (Brouwerij Huyghe), 4.1% ABV – 250ml,(Melle, Belgium)
on the back label:
“High quality Belgian white beer brewed with pure fruit juice. Ingredients: water, barley malt, wheat, 30% pure strawberry juice, hops, yeast, coriander and orange peel.”
- Style: Fruit Beer
- My Rating: B+
- Taste Profile: Strawberry juice -> light wheat/coriander -> jammy sweet finish/light burpy.
- Where I got it: BC Liquor Stores
- How much: $2.50, Summer 2011
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: yes
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: yes, non-drinkers as well
Tasting notes: pours opaque reddish orange with almost no head and minimal ringed retention, micro CO2. Strong strawberry juice aroma on the nose. Drinks like 7/10-sweet filtered strawberry juice up front, transitions into light wheat and coriander, finishing jammy sweet and just a hint of cloying. Low-medium complexity, medium depth, great transitions, okay carry, excellent drinkability. Super light, refreshing, almost like drinking carbonated juice. Not complex but enjoyable nonetheless.