Longboat Chocolate flavoured porter – Phillips Brewing, 5.2% ABV, (Victoria, BC, Canada)
- My Rating: C+
- Why it’s okay: authentic choco flavour but watery
- Where I got it: Legacy Liquor (?)
- How much: $6 (after 10%) , 650ml., Winter 2011
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: no
- Would I recommend this to beer aficionados: no
Tasting notes: pours coffee black, almost no head, thin ringed retention, a couple of slow-moving CO2 streams. Cocoa powder and coffee on the nose. Disappointingly thin flavoured up front, transitions into chocolate/cocoa, super light malts, light roasted coffee, light cream, but an awfully thin and watery body and backbone. Finishes mellow roasted bitter with burpy CO2. Medium complexity, low-medium depth, good transitions, so-so carry, decent drinkability. Nose is better than the actual taste, not much oompth there.