Val-Dieu Grand Cru – Brasserie de l’Abbaye du Val-Dieu, 10.5% ABV, (Belgium)
- My Rating: B
- Why I like it: rich, honey sweet, and malty, all balanced
- Where I got it: W. 16th (?)
- How much: $12, 750ml, Summer 2011
- Do I love this enough to drink it again: 50/50, only if shared
- Would I recommend this to beer afficianados: Yes, smooth and tasty
Tasting notes: Pours dark coffee brown/black with a decent head, good micro foamy retention, sticky lacing, lots of fast-moving CO2 streams. Clover honey on the nose. Drinks with initial 8/10-level gentle sweetness, tastes of strong honey, chamomile, medium-heavy malts, finishes sweet and 5/10-level bitter. The alcohol hits you pretty fast and this beer doesn’t pair very well with spicy food/pasta/corn/avocado/beef roll (what I’m eating now). Medium complexity, medium-high depth, good carry, good transitions, pretty good drinkability. It gets pretty heavy and overly sweet after 250ml into it – this beer is best for sharing.